Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My Letter to the School Principal

Dear (School Principal),

I drove up to RCHS this afternoon at about 4:10 PM. I entered the parking lot slowly, because there were two girls in my path. They appeared to have been out exercising, possibly running for a track team. As they walked toward the school, one of them took off her shirt. At that point, all she wore on top was a bra. Not even a sports bra, as if that should make much difference, but a decorative, attractive bra.

I am 51 years old. Do I need to explain how appalled I was? Because believe me, I could go on for paragraphs.

Instead, I will simply ask you and the coaches to enforce some sort of dress code. I have frequently seen the girls and boys jogging along the local roads, many boys without shirts on, and some girls in sports bras. "In my day", I would have found this extremely titillating, as I imagine today's youth also sees it. The difference was, we had more social mores in those days, and thus higher standards of dress, to prevent children from being encouraged toward promiscuity. Frankly, I don't even think it's appropriate for the boys and girls to be exercising together, specifically because teenagers can be rather easily obsessed with sex, and it's our job as adults to help keep that in check.

When people ask me about Douglas County Schools, this is one of the things I would have to cite in the "negative" column, yet it's easily fixable. You simply lay down the law. What parent is going to protest and say, "No, I want my daughter half naked in front of the school body!" No parent will say that.

Please address this problem. Our country is looking for leaders who will take a stand against the filth that has permeated our society. Please be that leader.

****

The Right Huff is Crista Huff's blog for politics and items of sociological or financial interest. Crista Huff also manages Goodfellow LLC, a subscription-only stock market website. We strive to identify financially healthy companies in which traders and investors can buy shares and earn dividends and capital gains. See disclaimer for the risks associated with investing in the stock market. See your tax advisor for the tax consequences of investing. See your estate planning attorney to clarify beneficiary and inheritance issues associated with your assets.

No comments: